Activate dark mode on any device and turn your screen, to dark quickly.
The dark mode lessens the light emitted by the device’s screen. It maintains the minimum color contrast ratios required for readability.
Moreover, dark mode helps prolong the device’s battery life, and the visual ergonomics that it creates reduces eye strain. It also minimizes blue light and flickering because of the dark screen.
Google Chrome enables dark screen in Windows as well as macOS. The browser appearance changes by toggling between light and dark modes while running macOS devices to run on Chrome’sChrome’s older version (or 73).
On the other hand, Windows offers a dark mode to version 74, matching the system theme.
Activating Dark Mode on Google Chrome for Windows 10:
Following is the step-by-step guide to activate dark mode on Google Chrome for Windows 10:
- Enter the “Setting” menu.
- Click “Personalization”, choose colors and scroll down.
- Choose your default app mode and change it to “Dark Mode.”
You don’t have to restart the browser.
Activating Chrome Dark Mode for macOS:
Below is the step-by-step guide to activate dark mode for macOS:
- Launch “System Preferences”.
- Click “General” and then “Appearances.”
- Choose the “Dark”, and all the apps will automatically change the appearance.
Chrome Dark Mode for Android:
The dark themes (mode) are available for Android 5 and above, but if you fail to launch it successfully, restart Chrome once.
- Open Google Chrome on your device.
- Tap “”more””, at the top right.
- Choose your desired theme from system default, light, or dark mode.
The disadvantage of the dark mode is that it increases eye fatigue and is not always better for eye strain.
- Is Dark Mode harmful?
Ans: The dark mode might be harmful to the eyes, as it requires a person’s pupil to expand to get more light. Moreover, the halation effect caused by the bleeding of light text edges on dark background reduces the readability.